You are eligible to request an exemption from the residency policy if you fit in one of the categories below. Remember, if you meet any of the following criteria, you still must submit a request for exemption.
- You live with a parent or legal guardian within a 25-mile radius of Bloomington.
- You are a transfer student entering your first semester of study at the Bloomington campus and have a minimum of 15 credit hours from another accredited university, college, or IU campus that will be transferred and accepted by IU Bloomington. Please note, Advanced Placement (AP) credits do not count toward the 15 credit hour requirement.
For the 2019-2020 academic year, students considered “transfer students” by the IU Bloomington Office of Admissions are excluded and do not need to apply for an exemption.
- You are a part-time student enrolled in less than 12 credit hours each semester of your first year.
- You will be 21 years of age before the start of your first semester at IU Bloomington.
- You are married, have children, or qualify under the university's guidelines for a domestic partnership.
- You are pledging a fraternity or sorority and will reside in a chapter house. Proof of residency in the chapter house is required.
We will consider requests for exemptions for special circumstances (e.g., financial, medical, religious, etc.) on a case-by-case basis.
NOTE: You must submit a housing contract only if requesting an exemption due to special circumstances. This is to establish your housing priority date for assignment purposes in the event your request is denied by the review committee. If your request is approved, the $200 application fee will be refunded.