2018-19 Guide to Unfurnished Apartment Living

Contract Information

  • Rent: Rental rates are based on the premise that all residents will pay in full and on time. The university considers late payment a breach of contract and will respond accordingly. Failure to pay your rent in full and on time could result in eviction from apartment housing.
  • Changing Apartments: Residents wishing to move to a different apartment should make this request at the Apartment Housing Assignments Office, Campus View 119, 812-855-6600. Office Hours are 8 a.m.–5 p.m., Monday through Friday. The assignments office maintains a waiting list of those persons wishing to move. The request for a different apartment may be as general or specific as you wish. You may not move to another university apartment without approval from the Apartment Housing Assignments Office.
  • Renewing Contracts: A contract renewal may be granted to registered students or full-time faculty and staff members who are within the eligibility definition, are current with payments, and have not violated apartment housing or university regulations. All contract renewals are at the discretion of the associate director of apartment housing and the manager of apartment housing assignments.
  • Canceling Contracts: The university may cancel your contract if you and/or your dependents, cohabitants, or guests do not follow the rules and regulations of Indiana University and those of Residential Programs and Services (RPS), if you fail to make timely payments, or if you are dismissed from the university.
  • RPS reserves the right to cancel a resident's housing contract and requires that resident to leave university housing when that resident has exhibited behavior that significantly disrupts the life of the residential community, or poses a serious risk to any resident (including self), student, staff, faculty member, or visitor.
  • You may cancel your housing contract at any time prior to moving in by submitting a request online. Refer to your housing contract and contact the Apartment Housing Assignments Office at Campus View 119, or by email. You may cancel your contract, after moving in, by completing a cancellation form at the Apartment Housing Assignments Office and following the move-out procedures available through your Housing Manager's Office. Refer to your housing contract and contact the assignments office for information regarding contract breakage fees. These fees may range from no fee to 60 percent of the remaining balance of the contract amount.
  • Subleasing: We do not permit any apartments to be subleased.

Convicted sexual offenders are not eligible to reside in university housing. If RPS learns that an applicant for housing is a convicted sex offender, the application will be rejected. If RPS learns that a current resident is a convicted sex offender, this contract will be canceled.

  • At least 19 years of age.
  • Have already lived in an IU residence hall for two semesters.
  • Be a registered IU student, faculty or staff member, transfer student, or deemed eligible by the manager of housing assignments.
  • In the event you lose eligibility, you agree to vacate your unit withing three calendar days.
  • Cancellation and release provisions of your housing contract will determine your remaining contractual obligations.

The university does not assume responsibility for any loss to person(s) or personal property. It is recommended that you maintain adequate public liability insurance coverage and renter's insurance coverage for your personal property. Damages and losses attributed to a prohibited or restricted item are the responsibility of the individual to whom the item belongs. Also, if you carelessly damage IU property, you may be held financially responsible.

The apartment is to be occupied by only those persons whose names appear on the contract(s) and the apartment occupancy list. The contract holder is required to list all occupants on the Housing-Occupant Door-Access Request Form and with their apartment housing office. If the number of occupants changes for any reason, please notify your apartment center desk and update the information at One.IU. If an individual lives in your apartment for more than four nights and is not approved by the housing manager, your eligibility to remain in apartment housing will be jeopardized.

The Apartment

The right of individuals to be secure in their persons, living quarters, papers, and effects against unreasonable search and seizure is constitutionally guaranteed and extends to students in the academic community. No provision in the housing contract gives apartment housing officials authority to consent to a search of an apartment by police or other government officials.

However, there are circumstances in which authorized persons using approved procedures may enter an apartment. These special cases include law enforcement, custodial services, safety inspections, repair and maintenance, emergency situations, and probable cause searches.

  • Any law enforcement agency having jurisdiction may, in performing its statutory duties, conduct a search in accordance with legally defined procedures governing search and seizure.
  • Authorized custodial personnel may enter apartments to perform routine custodial services.
  • Authorized university personnel performing safety inspections may enter an apartment to ensure that health, fire, and safety regulations are being followed. Whenever possible, residents will be given at least 24-hour notice of these inspections.
  • Authorized university maintenance personnel may enter an apartment to make improvements or repairs, to provide routine maintenance services, and to recover university-owned property. Whenever possible, residents will be given at least 24-hour notice.
  • Authorized university personnel responding to an emergency may enter an apartment to protect a resident's health and welfare, or to make emergency repairs to prevent property damage.
  • Authorized university officials may enter an apartment when there is probable cause to believe that violations of university or civil regulations are being committed and that a delay to procure a search warrant would endanger the health and safety of the residents, or result in the probable destruction of evidence. Probable cause means: having reasonable grounds for suspicion, supported by circumstances sufficiently strong to justify a cautious person's belief that a party is committing an illegal act.

When the apartment to be searched is occupied, probable cause searches will follow these guidelines:

  • No apartment or room shall be entered without knocking, whether the door is locked, unlocked, or ajar.
  • The university official will identify himself or herself and state why an entry is desired. If the door is closed, the official will then request that the door is opened.
  • If the door is not opened or the official is refused entry, the official will:
    • Knock again and restate personal identification and the reason entry is desired.
    • State the intention to use a passkey to enter if the door is not opened.
    • Wait at least two minutes to allow the occupant(s) sufficient time to awaken, dress, or decide rationally whether to allow entrance to the apartment and then, if necessary, use a passkey to enter.
    • State again, upon entering the apartment, the purpose of the entry or search, the fact that it is being conducted on the basis of probable cause, and the identity of the specific objects being sought out.
  • The next two items below apply whether or not the apartment or the room to be searched is occupied at the time of the search.
    • Only items specifically prohibited or pose an immediate danger to the health and safety of the residents will be removed from a room without the express permission of the owner.
    • The university official conducting the search is free to seize illegal materials in "plain view," but the extent of the search must be in keeping with the factual information upon which the probable cause for the search is founded. If an extensive search is required (i.e., opening all drawers, luggage, and locked boxes) and the resident has not given permission, the university should contact the IU Police Department for a search warrant.
    • All evidence seized during searches complying with the above regulations may be used in university disciplinary hearings for violations of the Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct and Indiana University Apartment Housing Rules and Regulations; evidence seized in violation of the search standards may not be used. A resident who believes this policy has been violated should report the incident to the Office of the Dean of Students.
    • When authorized university personnel or their agents must enter an apartment or room when no occupants are present, two staff members should be present, if possible. Residents will be notified of such entries and the reasons for them upon their return. In all instances, such entries shall be made only for the purposes listed above.
    • The apartment door will be locked on departure whether it was originally locked or not.

Most of the time, a plunger will open a stopped drain. Please do not try to clear a clogged drain with drain-cleaning chemicals. Several members of our plumbing staff have been injured by these chemicals. Inform the staff if you have used a chemical drain cleaner and leave a note by the sink or tub informing the plumbers that a chemical has been used in the drain. This will help prevent serious injury to our staff.

Electrical outlets must be used appropriately. Electrical appliances and equipment must not overload circuits, be left on and/or unattended, or be improperly wired so as to create a safety hazard. Holiday lights must not overload circuits and, if appropriate, must be fireproofed in accordance with environmental health & safety standards.

Wall switches control some electrical outlets. If an outlet does not appear to work, make sure the plug is inserted securely into the electrical socket and then turn on the wall switch. If the outlet still does not work, check the circuit breaker panel. If a circuit breaker is "off," unplug some appliances and switch the breaker to the "on" position. When a circuit breaker cannot be switched to the "on" position, the circuit may be overloaded. If the problem persists, contact your Housing Manager's Office.

You are responsible for the proper care of the appliances and equipment in the apartment. All apartments are equipped with window coverings, which are flame retardant and should not be replaced or modified without prior authorization. No appliances or equipment may be removed from the apartment for storage or other purposes unless authorized in writing by the housing manager. Due to the potential for property damage, waterbeds are not permitted in apartment housing.

If you will be absent from your apartment for an extended period of time, notify your Housing Manager's Office so your apartment can be checked periodically. This is especially important during the winter when frozen pipes could be a problem, or in the summer when an air conditioner drain could clog.

It is also a good idea to have your apartment checked by a friend or neighbor who can notify both you and your Housing Manager's Office if a problem arises. Make sure to provide your Housing Manager's Office with an apartment entry authorization form for a friend or neighbor in case the key is misplaced.

When using the garbage disposal, leave the water on for 10–15 seconds after the grinding has ended to flush the drain. Do not place grease or hard or fibrous waste, such as bones, fruit pits, corn husks, pea pods, celery, banana peels, etc., in the disposal. The disposal should be run at least once a week to prevent a clogged drain.

Please note that University Apartments do not have garbage disposals.

Authorized university personnel may periodically conduct health and safety inspections of the apartments. The purpose of these inspections is to help keep the buildings free from fire hazards and pest infestations and to survey various maintenance needs in the apartments. The apartment housing staff has an obligation to all residents and to IU to conduct these inspections. Management personnel, accompanied by a member of the housing staff, perform the inspections.

You will be notified by email of upcoming inspections. Staff will make every effort to inspect the apartment within two weeks after delivery of the notice. Staff will make an appointment with you upon request. Repeated health and safety violations will result in judicial action and/or non-renewal of your contract.

During spring and fall, it is often difficult to regulate heating or cooling consistently. Tulip Tree, 3rd & Union, and Campus View are the only apartment complexes with central air conditioning. The heating and cooling system will be switched according to the calendar (approximately in April and October) and the long-range weather forecast.

Please do not operate the air conditioner with the windows open. On hot, humid days, excessive moisture will accumulate at the convector and may drip onto the floor or into the apartment below. At BBHN, Evermann, Redbud, and University, please do not turn off the valve in any of the heating or cooling convectors. Doing so may cause the unit to freeze and burst in extremely cold weather. You may be liable for property damage if these situations occur.

Window air conditioner units are allowed in apartments that do not have central air conditioning. RPS staff must install the units. There is no charge for installation.

Maintain the stove by wiping up spills as they occur and cleaning regularly. Always turn the stove and oven off when not in use and when no one is in the apartment. Never leave cooking food unattended. Never use the stove and oven as additional storage space.

RPS has a service staff available to respond to apartment housing needs. Please report all problems to your Housing Manager's Office as soon as they become apparent. After-hours emergencies (e.g., loss of water, heat, or electricity) or anything that poses a safety or security risk (including electrical hazards, flooding, clogged toilets, or broken glass) should be called into your housing assistant.

Other concerns or questions about issues, such as pest control, the condition of equipment and appliances, and grounds or snow removal problems, should be directed to your Housing Manager's Office during regular business hours. These office phones are monitored 24 hours a day.

When planning to vacate the apartment, you must notify the Apartment Housing Assignments Office and complete the necessary forms. Your contract explains the cancellation policy and contract term. You should also email  apthouse@indiana.edu, or call 812-855-6600 the Apartment Housing Assignments Office, Campus View 119, for an explanation of the contract and for information on moving to another apartment or renewing your contract.

When you vacate, staff will conduct a final inspection (check out) of the apartment. When contacting the staff, let them know if you wish to be present for the inspection. Any charges for cleaning or damages will be assessed at the final inspection. All keys to the apartment must be turned in upon vacating the unit. Failure to do so could result in a charge of $100 or more.

Apartment housing offers professional, licensed pest control service at no additional charge. Specialists respond to any problems with infestation by ants, bees, silverfish, roaches, or rodents. Every apartment is required to receive periodic pest control inspections, and follow0up treatments are scheduled as needed.

You will be notified by email before each inspection. The program's success depends on your full cooperation, and participation is a condition of your contract. When necessary, we expect you to have your apartment prepared for the pest control treatment on the scheduled day and time.

Pesticides alone cannot solve a pest problem. You must practice high standards of housekeeping for pest control measures to be effective. Please:

  • Dispose of garbage promptly, either in the disposal or in sealed bags.
  • Wash dishes as soon as possible after use. If you cannot wash them immediately, rinse them with hot water and run the disposal.
  • Keep food preparation and storage areas (counter, table, range, and refrigerator) clean. Remember to clean the drip pans under the burners and the walls around the range, especially if you have been frying foods.
  • Tightly cover leftover food.
  • Rinse cans, bottles, and jars before disposal. See recycling below for more information.
  • Keep your apartment clutter free. Papers, boxes, and clothing should be picked up. If you recycle, please dispose of the items frequently to avoid attracting pests.
  • Keep opened food cartons (flour, mixes, cereal, pasta, etc.) sealed tightly in plastic bags or other tight-fitting containers.

If you have a pest problem, please contact your Housing Manager's Office immediately. We can provide housekeeping suggestions or extra pest control.

RPS is committed to reducing, reusing, and recycling materials. Instruction on how to recycle can be obtained from the Housing Manager's Office or the Area Coordinator's Office. It is the responsibility of each resident to educate him/herself about recycling. If you are unsure how to recycle, place items in the trash rather than risk contaminating the recycling bins. Ask your center desk for the location of the recycling bins.

Refrigerators should be cleaned regularly. When cleaning a refrigerator, baking soda in the rinse water will help prevent objectionable odors.

Keep food tightly covered or wrapped to help prevent odors and frost build-up. Place items on the shelves so that air can circulate freely within the refrigerator. If the refrigerator is packed too full, it will not cool properly.

If you are leaving for the summer and returning to the same apartment for the next academic year, you may sign a Summer Storage Contract that will allow you to leave your belongings in the apartment over the summer for a nominal fee. Contact the Apartment Housing Assignments Office at Campus View 119 for details. Otherwise, there is no storage space for residents' belongings in apartment housing. Contact off-campus storage companies if you need extra storage space.

You are responsible for bagging the trash in your apartment and placing it in the proper bins outside your building. Do not leave bags of trash sitting in hallways, stairwells, laundry rooms, outside your door, or on the ground around the bins. Trash burning is prohibited. Do not put any trash in recycling containers.

If you have a medical condition requiring the use of hypodermic needles, do not dispose of the needles in the trash. Your Housing Manager's Office can give you a Sharps container for disposal of the needles. Return the full container to the Housing Manager's Office for disposal.

Window screens must be secured at all times. Residents may be charged a replacement fee if a screen is missing. For safety purposes, the windows in Tulip Tree must not have hinges removed. Do not allow children or others to climb on windows or push on windows or window screens. Screens are intended to keep pests out. They are not designed to withstand a child's or adult's weight.

The screens in Campus View are fixed and will not slide upward. Do not try to move these screens. They can be easily dropped and could cause damage or injury to those below.

Community Living and Services

An activities room at Campus View is available to all apartment housing residents for private functions, receptions, etc. It may be scheduled through the Area Coordinator's Office.

The Apartment and Family Student Council is a resident/student organization within apartment housing that provides recreational and social services for you. The residents of apartment housing elect officers and representatives from each apartment building to serve in the organization. A $6 monthly fee added to the rent of each contract holder funds the council. Contact AFSC in Campus View 107, 812-855-7227, or send an email to afsc@indiana.edu.

The Area Coordinator's Office, located in Campus View 105, provides many services to apartment housing students and families. This office is a source of comprehensive information about campus and community programs and services. In addition to orientation, information, and referral, the office sponsors educational and cultural programs as well as health and safety related events. The Area Coordinator is available for counseling and crisis intervention and will try to assist with any problems that may arise as you adjust to your new home. You may contact this office at 812-855-2679 or by email at aptlife@indiana.edu.

We have a limited number of beds that you may rent for a short time in Campus View and Tulip Tree apartments. These beds are available on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are interested in renting a bed for a guest, contact your Housing Manager's Office for availability and rates. Bed rentals are not available for 3rd & Union, Redbud, BBHN, or University Apartments.

Each residential area has a community meeting composed of residents and apartment housing staff. This group addresses community issues much like a neighborhood association. Meeting times and locations will be advertised in your center.

Indiana University Apartment Housing Rules and Regulations apply to all residents, dependents, or other occupants of apartment housing units, as well as visitors and guests. All residents are expected to be familiar with and abide by, the terms and conditions of the Indiana University Apartment Housing Rules and Regulations, and the university's Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct (the Code). Violations of the above may result in university disciplinary action.

Questions about Indiana University Apartment Housing Rules and Regulations should be directed to the Area Coordinator's Office, Campus View 105, 812-855-2679, or to your Housing Manager's Office.

Allegations of violations of the housing contract, Indiana University Apartment Housing Rules and Regulations, and/or the Code may be reported to the Area Coordinator's Office or the Housing Manager's Office, who will investigate.

In general, if noise is so loud that it disturbs another, it is too loud. If you are disturbed by noise coming from another apartment, speak to the resident of that apartment. Usually, such problems can be corrected quickly and easily in this manner. Do not wait to speak to your neighbor until the noise becomes unbearable. Better results are obtained if you approach your neighbor in a friendly manner. If the problem continues or recurs, contact the Area Coordinator's Office or your Housing Manager's Office during regular business hours, or the housing assistant after regular business hours. In some cases, it may be necessary to telephone IUPD for assistance.

If you contact the Area Coordinator's Office, your Housing Manager's Office, or the housing assistant, provide an e-mail message or written memo that states the date(s), time(s), and nature of the disturbance(s). Include information about what has been done in an attempt to resolve the problem. The message should be detailed; it is very difficult for us to act without accurate and complete documentation.

Coordinator Assistants (CAs) are available to help all residents of apartment housing. As outreach staff of the Area Coordinator's Office, CAs direct their efforts toward promoting a sense of community among the residents, providing orientation and information about the campus and community, encouraging participation in apartment housing programs and events, alerting the Area Coordinator to problems and issues that may need attention, and more.

Each housing office has a fax machine available to residents & legal occupants for sending and receiving personal faxes. There is no charge for faxes of up to five pages, not including a cover sheet. Faxes over this amount will be charged at the rate of $1 per page. There is never a charge for a cover sheet. If you have someone send a fax to you at one of the following numbers, be sure they identify you by name, in English, so we can notify you when a fax arrives. The fax numbers for the Housing Managers' Offices are:

RPS has created an organic community garden, with plots available to rent for $25 (non-refundable). A watering hose and tools are available for shared use and garden maintenance. Contact the Area Coordinator's Office at aptlife@indiana.edu or call 812-855-2679 if interested.

RPS has a limited number of guest apartments available for rent. Contact RPS Guest Services at 812-855-6600, or by email at rpsguest@indiana.edu.

Housing assistants are students who live in apartment housing and are on duty to address emergencies, community concerns, and other matters whenever Housing Managers' Offices are closed. They are your first point of contact between 5 p.m. and 8 a.m., and on weekends and holidays. To reach the housing assistant on duty, call the numbers on each building's contact list. After 9 p.m., call only for emergency situations.

Housing managers are responsible for the daily operations of the apartment buildings, the condition of the facilities, and the center desk.

Housing manager offices are open Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.–5 p.m. and may be contacted by email or phone, which you can find here.

Services available include, but are not limited to, the following:

  • Apartment check-in.
  • Bus schedules.
  • Campus mail.
  • Campus maps.
  • Change for laundry.
  • Change of address forms.
  • Extra keys.
  • Fax.
  • Maintenance requests.
  • Parcel pickup (ID required).
  • Postage stamps.
  • Telephone instructions and service forms.
  • Visitor parking permits.

Laundry rooms are available in each apartment complex. You may use coins or your CampusAccess card to activate the machines. Money may be added to these cards at Value Transfer Stations (VTS). A VTS is currently available in the main lobbies of Campus View, Evermann, and Tulip Tree.

Please follow these laundry facility guidelines:

  • Remove your laundry promptly at the end of the cycle.
  • Leave the laundry room in the same condition that you found it—or better.
  • The laundry facilities are for residents only. Please report any unauthorized use to your Housing Manager's Office immediately.
  • Do not leave clothing or belongings unattended in laundry rooms. IU is not responsible for any damage, theft, or loss of clothing.
  • Report any mechanical problems with the washers and dryers to your Housing Manager's Office or to the housing assistant as soon as possible. If clothes are damaged during washing or drying, report the situation to your Housing Manager's Office, where staff will contact the vendor. The vendor will then contact you about restitution. If a card reader is not working properly, email Campus Card Services at cacard@indiana.edu, or call 812-855-8711.

All lost items should be reported, and found items should be returned to your Housing Manager's Office. When possible, the office will notify the rightful owner. Found items will be kept for 30 days. After 30 days, items will be considered abandoned.

On-campus lost and found office locations:

Staff members in the apartment buildings deliver campus mail to your apartment. Outgoing U.S. mail receptacles are in various locations at the different apartment housing buildings. Outgoing campus mail may be placed in your Housing Manager's Office.

The U.S. Postal Service delivers U.S. mail to the first-floor lobbies of Campus View, Tulip Tree, and Evermann. Redbud mail is delivered to mailboxes located outside the laundry rooms. At Banta, Bicknell, Hepburn, and Nutt, the mail is delivered to centrally located U.S. mailboxes. Mail for residents of University and 3rd & Union apartments is delivered to the boxes in the main entry.

To get your U.S. mail without delay, it must have a street address and apartment number. Use your apartment building street address. Only parcels addressed to the contracted resident will be accepted.


Student's First Name and Last Name
Street Address, Apartment Number
Bloomington, IN 4740X-XXXX

All new residents are expected to attend a brief orientation within one month of moving into an apartment. These sessions will be conducted by the Coordinator Assistant of each building. Contact the Area Coordinator's Office, Campus View, room 105 at 812-855-2679, or send an email to aptlife@indiana.edu for more information.

Picnic tables and grills are located in various places around the buildings for use by everyone in apartment housing. Report any tables or grills that need repair to your housing manager's office. When using a grill, do not empty charcoal ashes into trash bins until they are completely cool.

Playground equipment and recreational areas are conveniently located near all apartment housing buildings. Indiana University does not provide monitors for the playgrounds. Parents must provide supervision. The equipment should not be used after dark to avoid disturbing nearby residents.

Safety and Security

Because some IU apartment housing units were built before 1980, some of their construction materials contain asbestos. These materials present no danger unless they are damaged. Materials that might contain asbestos include floor tiles, linoleum, pipe insulation (pipe elbows in machine rooms and other locations), and the ceiling treatment in the hallways and apartments of certain buildings. An asbestos information sheet is available at your Housing Manager's Office.

Be very careful not to do anything that might damage materials containing asbestos. Puncturing these materials could cause a release of harmful fibers. Don't insert nails, hangers, hooks, or anything that would damage the material even slightly. In addition, if any damage has been done to building materials that might contain asbestos, the damage should be reported immediately to your Housing Manager's Office.

Whenever RPS removes asbestos, signs will be posted. All precautions will be taken to ensure that removal procedures will not cause any health threat.

Bicycles and mopeds must be kept in the parking areas provided. You are encouraged to register your bicycles to deter theft. Contact the Housing Manager's Office for registration information. Any bicycle that does not display a valid permit or is left in a location not designated for bicycle parking may be confiscated.

To protect you and to guard against theft, all exterior doors at all apartment buildings will be locked nightly from approximately 9 p.m.–8 a.m. After closing hours, you may use your apartment key to enter your building. For safety reasons, never prop open outside doors. Never allow strangers into buildings.

Signs at each locked door direct people to the locations of the emergency telephones available for use by you, your guests, or delivery people. Inform your guests or delivery people of your telephone number and the location of your building's phone, so they can call to be let in when they arrive.

Newspaper delivery, UPS, U.S. mail, and UPS delivery people have access to the building. Other delivery people (e.g., flower or pizza delivery) must have someone meet them at the door.

While earthquakes are infrequent, they are possible in Bloomington.

During an Earthquake

Inside a building:

  • Crouch under a heavy table or desk and protect your head, or stand in a doorway or corner.
  • Stay away from windows, bookcases, or other items that could fall on you.

In a hallway:

  • Sit with your back against the wall and stay away from windows and outside walls.

In a car:

  • Drive to an open area away from buildings, overpasses, poles, electrical wires, and trees.
  • Stay in the car until the shaking stops.


  • Move to an open area away from buildings, poles, electrical wires, and trees.

After an Earthquake

  • Check for injuries and apply first aid.
  • Do not move seriously injured individuals unless they are in immediate danger.
  • Do not use the telephone unless there is a serious emergency (to prevent system overload).
  • Check for obvious structural damage.

If there is obvious structural damage to your apartment:

  • Move to outside assembly areas.
  • Notify authorities of anyone trapped in the building.
  • Wait for instructions from emergency personnel.
  • Monitor local radio stations for information.

Be prepared for aftershocks, which are usually smaller than the main quake, but may do additional damage to weakened structures.

To report a fire, medical emergency, or crime in progress, call 911 from any phone. Immediately report safety concerns, suspected criminal activity, or suspicious persons to IUPD at 812-855-4111.

An emergency could happen at any time. During an emergency, you will not have time to learn what to do. Also, there may not be anyone nearby to tell you what to do. Being prepared for an emergency is your responsibility. To help you know what to do, information on fire safety, tornadoes and severe weather, earthquakes, bomb threats, chemical spills, and civil disturbances is included in this booklet. This information is also available in the emergency preparedness brochure available at the Area Coordinator's Office or your Housing Manager's Office. Also, check the Bloomington Campus Emergency Preparedness website.

You may register at One.IU to receive text alerts from the university.

An emergency safety video is also available to check out from your Housing Manager's Office. If you have a permanent or temporary disability, please notify your Housing Manager's Office.

Prepare for emergency situations

The most important thing to remember during an emergency is to stay calm. Know your building layout and locations of:

  • Exits.
  • Fire alarm pull boxes.
  • Fire extinguishers.
  • Outside assembly areas (found on door placards).

Know emergency procedures:

  • Involve your roommate or family in preparing your emergency plans.
  • Learn the most important emergency phone numbers.
  • Post emergency numbers by or in your telephone/cell phone.
  • Prepare an emergency kit with a battery-powered flashlight and/or radio, extra batteries, and a first-aid kit (including prescription medication).
  • Read information on emergency procedures.
  • Read the placard on your door.

Fire drills are conducted as requiredby the International Fire Code that was adopted by the state of Indiana. The frequency of drills is based on the type of occupancy of a building. In campus housing, drills are required four times a year.These required drills will occur during the months of September, November, February, and April. You are required by law to evacuate a building whenever you hear a fire alarm.

Apartments are furnished with a fire extinguisher and at least one smoke detector. The smoke detectors are battery powered and the apartment housing staff is required by law to replace the battery once a year. Campus View, Tulip Tree, and 3rd & Union apartments also have sprinklers and hard-wired smoke detectors. If your alarm emits a short, periodic beep, the alarm needs to have the battery replaced. Report this to your Housing Manager's Office immediately.

Tampering with any firefighting equipment, including, but not limited to, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, fire hoses, exit lights, and smoke detectors will result in disciplinary action.

Staff will check the fire extinguisher gauge periodically and during health and safety inspections. If you see that the gauge on the fire extinguisher is not in the green or normal range, or if you have discharged it, please notify your Housing Manager's Office immediately.

When the alarm system is activated, a loud alarm signal can be heard on all floors. This alarm is monitored by the IUPD. You should always vacate the building when the alarm sounds or if you are directed to do so by building staff or emergency personnel.

You can eliminate fire hazards in the following ways:

  • When cooking, stay near the stove and clean up grease and appliances as soon as possible.
  • Avoid using extension cords and power strips that can overload electrical circuits.
  • Never run cords under rugs or constrict plugs behind furniture.
  • Replace loose electrical connections and frayed cords with new equipment.
  • Use electrical appliances carefully and remember to turn them off after use.
  • Do not store flammable materials in your apartment.
  • Keep corridors, hallways, and stairways clear of personal items and storage items.
  • Smoking is prohibited inside all apartments and on Indiana University owned or leased property except in officially designated outdoor areas.
  • Keep fire doors and doors to the building closed. Never prop open these doors.

During a fire, stay calm. Feel the door to your apartment.

If the door is warm:

  • Do not open the door.
  • Put a wet towel at the base of the door.
  • Call the fire department and report your location.
  • Signal for help.
  • Remain in your apartment. Emergency personnel are on their way.

If the door is not warm:

  • Open the door slightly, bracing it with your body.
  • Check the hallway for heat or heavy smoke.
  • If the hallway is clear, leave immediately; do not go back for anything.
  • Close the door as you leave.
  • Go to the nearest exit or stairway.
  • Never use an elevator.

If you get caught in smoke:

  • Get down and crawl.
  • Cover your nose and mouth.

If you are on fire:

  • Stop, drop, and roll.

If the fire alarm hasn't been sounded:

  • Pull the fire alarm pull box as you leave.
  • Move to the outside assembly areas.

After exiting the building:

  • If you are injured, report to emergency personnel.
  • Notify authorities of anyone trapped in the building.
  • Follow the orders of fire, police, or university personnel at all times.

All apartment housing keys or entry cards are the property of IU & may not be duplicated. If you need anyone (including your own children, a delivery person, relative, or guest) to pick up a key from your Housing Manager's Office, you must sign an entry authorization card or send an email to the Housing Manager's Office giving authorization. Otherwise, a key will not be issued. No exceptions to this rule. A telephone call will not suffice. Children 12 years of age or younger will not be issued keys.

Residents sharing bedrooms in a single apartment will be allowed only one permanent key per contract holder. An extra temporary key may be checked out from the center desk for a 24-hour period, subject to penalty if not returned within that time.

Locks on apartment doors or mailboxes will be changed if a key is reported lost or stolen. You will be charged a fee for an apartment lock change. If you have misplaced a key and you think you will find it, we will issue a replacement key or make a temporary lock change and allow seven days for you to find the misplaced key and return the replacement key to your Housing Manager's Office. A lock change will be ordered at the end of the seven days if the key is not returned.

When moving out of the apartment, you must return all keys. Failure to do so may result in a charge of $100 or more. You may not install your own locks or latches on any door in the apartment.

  • Supervise young children and toddlers at all times when they are playing outside the buildings.
  • Ensure that children use playground equipment for its intended purposes.
  • Report hazardous or broken playground equipment to your Housing Manager's Office immediately.
  • Ride bicycles and battery-operated cars slowly and with extreme care in playground areas. Children who are unable to maintain complete control at all times should not be allowed to ride unsupervised. Helmets should be worn at all times.
  • Do not operate or park motorized vehicles, including motorcycles and mopeds, off roadways or parking lots.

If you witness an emergency, such as a bomb threat, hazardous materials spill, or civil disturbance, report the emergency by calling IUPD at 911 from any phone.

In the case of a bomb threat, hazardous materials spill, or civil disturbance:

  • Follow the orders of fire, police, or university personnel at all times.
  • If you are asked to evacuate the building, do so in an orderly manner.

When reporting an emergency, be sure to include all of the details listed below (if possible).

Bomb Threat:

  • Location of the bomb
  • When it will detonate
  • Why the caller set the bomb
  • Description of the caller

Hazardous Materials Spill:

  • Location of the spill
  • Type of materials involved

Civil Disturbance:

  • Location of the incident
  • Type of incident
  • Description of the persons involved

Smoking is prohibited inside all apartments and on Indiana University owned or leased property except in officially designated outdoor areas.

Tornadoes can occur anytime during the year. They are more common during the spring. Civil defense sirens located throughout the community, local radio and television stations, or the National Weather Service radio (162.45 MHz) will announce the approach of severe weather.

Tornado watch:

  • A tornado watch indicates that the conditions necessary for a tornado to occur are favorable.
  • During a watch, pay particular attention to radio and television for additional information.

Tornado warning:

  • Indicates that a tornado has been sighted in the area.
  • Once a tornado warning has been issued, be prepared to move to a safe location.

If the civil defense sirens sound, or if radio or television broadcasts indicate that a tornado has been sighted in Monroe County, follow the directions listed here. Never use the fire alarm to warn of a tornado. We do not want people evacuating the building if there is a tornado.

During a tornado

If you are inside:

  • Immediately move to an interior room or hallway without windows.
  • Shut the door behind you.
  • Stay away from exterior walls, doors, and windows.
  • Crouch down and cover your head with your arms.
  • Stay off elevators.

If you are outside:

  • Seek shelter in a concrete or masonry building, or in a ditch or ravine.

After a tornado

  • Check for injuries and apply first aid.
  • Do not move seriously injured persons unless they are in immediate danger.
  • Do not use the telephone unless there is a serious emergency.
  • If possible, monitor local radio stations for information.

If there is obvious structural damage to your apartment:

  • Move to outside assembly areas once the weather has calmed.
  • Notify authorities of anyone trapped in the building.
  • Wait for instructions from emergency personnel.