Move – In Guide
The guide is for first time residents who will be moving to campus to live in the residence halls in August 2016. Before you move to campus, please read the A to Z Guide to Residence Hall & Furnished Apartment Living.
The residence halls will open for fall semester at 8 a.m. on Wednesday, August 17. Check in prior to 11:30 p.m. is strongly encouraged. New students report directly to the residence hall assigned. Short term parking for unloading vehicles will be available in the firelanes. Parking zone CH in the lots around the residence halls will be unrestricted through Sunday, August 21. New students without an assignment must come to the assigement office during business hours at 801 North Jordan Ave.
Residents who need to move in before opening day may register online to arrive early.Students participating in International Student Orientation may arrive as early as Wednesday, August 3 at a costs of $16 per day (August 3 – 13). Students employed by RPS, or those taking part in an IU program such as marching band, athletics, IU Beginnings, or International Student Orientation may move in before August 12. All other residents may begin arriving on Sunday, August 14. A cost of $36 per day (August 12 – 16) per day will be assessed.
These early arrival charges will be billed to the student's bursar account. Check – in is between 8 a.m. to midnight daily. Arrival prior to 11:30 p.m. is strongly engouraged. Food service will begin on Sunday, August 14 and I – BUCKS will be accepted.
Online registration to arrive early for the fall semester will open Monday, July 18 and close Friday, August 12.
To protect the health and safety of everyone, we cannot permit some items in the buildings. These lists of necessary, optional and prohibited items will help determine what needs to be left at home.
All electrical appliances must be:
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL) listed
- Equipped with thermostatic controls when appropriate
- Rated at 700 watts (6 amps) or less
- Alarm Clock
- Bathrobe, Shower Shoes, Towels & Washcloths
- Bed Linens, Mattress Cover, Blankets Size Extra-long Twin, and Pillows
- Cleaning Supplies
- Clothes Hangers
- Command Hooks, Tacky Putty, or Painters Tape for Hanging Decorations
- Hair Dryer
- Laundry Basket/Bag and Detergent
- Mug, Cups, Dishes & Cutlery
- Personal Prescription Medications
- Personal Toiletry Items and a Small Plastic Bucket to Carry Them
- Seasonal Clothing
- Small First Aid Kit
- Surge Protectors and Extension Cords (LCDI technology is strongly recommended)
- Umbrella & Rainwear
- Computer or laptop
- Bed Risers (Cannot be used with bunked or lofted beds)
- Charging Station
- Christmas Lights
- Coffee Maker, i.e. Hamilton Beach, Keurig, Mr. Coffee, etc.
- Deck of Cards and Board Games
- Small Electric Fan
- Flexible Lamp
- Hanging Shelves for the Closet
- Inexpensive Camera
- TV, Streaming Media Player
- Multi-purpose Furniture, i.e. storage cubes, futon
- Refrigerator (Size of 3 cubic feet or less)
- Snack Food & Beverages
- Small Sewing Kit
- Sporting Equipment
- Air Conditioner (Unless approved by RPS for medical needs)
- Alcohol and Alcohol Containers of any kind
- Antennas and Satellite Dishes
- Combustible Liquids
- Electric Open – Coil Heaters or any Appliance with Exposed Burners
- Firearms (including BB, Paintball, and Pellet Guns; Sling Shots and other Weapons)
- Free Standing Portable Windowless Air Conditioner
- Full – size Refrigerators and Freezers
- Grills – Indoor (including George Foreman and Cuisinart Griddlers), Charcoal, Electric, and Propane
- Halogen Lights and Lamps
- Hot Plates
- Immersion Coils for Heating Water
- Incense and Incense Burners
- Portable Washing Machines, Dryers, and Dishwashers
- Power Tools
- Smoking devices such as hookahs, pipes, cigarettes, electronic cigerettes, cigars, etc.
- Stoves and Camping Stoves
- Sun Lamps and Tanning Beds
- Toaster Ovens
Setting Up Your Room
Residence hall rooms come with:
- Single bed and mattress (one per student)
- Desk and chair (one per student)
- Window coverings
- Area rug or carpeting
- Closet or wardrobe
- Ethernet connection and wifi at most locations
- Cable TV connection
Before making purchases for the room, watch our video for ideas and decorating tips from other residents.
Before doing anything to a room, please read this section of the A to Z Guide about modifications:
Room dimensions determine the bed arrangement options available in any given room. Information for specific rooms will be available at My Housing. Some rooms do not accomodate all the bed arrangements available at a residence hall.